Hard road

Hard road

The colts had to overcome two yellow cards, a penalty try and an unbelievable penalty count to defeat the much loved Erindale when Haloti Fonua kicked a penalty, yes-we did get one, after the bell. The 24-21 score was as gutsy as the reserve grade win over Royals 16-8.

Goal kicker Haloti Fonua. Photo- Alistair Nitz

Thirds could not go it with Goulburn and went down 12-30 to finish the season.

Colts and reserves will play Gungahlin in next Saturday’s preliminary final with fourths already into the grand final and will play the winner of Tuggers and Wests.

At half time the colts were down 7-14 after a committed defence held on with 13 men with both Vinnie de Masson and Wyll Holland sitting in the chairs. More was to come with the Whites coming back in the second period to even the score before conceding a penalty try.

With very little going Queanbeyan’s way a wayward throw led to a try to even up the contest before Fonua calmly slotted the 40 metre shot from in front.

Jack Gilmour ran plenty of yards, Zeph Tuinona was his usual outstanding and Kane Kilmister amongst it all day.

How good is this bloke (Photo by Snapper)

Reserve grade had no territory or possession for much of the first half but when they broke it was a delight. Prop Neori created some space and gave winger Ben Pattenden open territory until he was dropped just short of the line but picked up flanker Lewis Bozzato who scored. The next try was nearly as good as Steven Prial found Daniel Naef who offloaded to Matt Taylor for Fraser Smith to sneak a try.

Fraser is congratulated on his try by captain Jake Gordon, who led the team with gusto (Photo by Josh “Snapper” Townsend

Nadruku was hot in his hot pants, Prail and Taylor were rocks and the backrow bent their backs.

Thirds struggled to contain a very hand Goulburn and looked done after Elijah Chadwick was carded. It was 7-20 at oranges and the side started to fall of tackled and allow plenty of opportunities to the Reds.

No Comments

Post A Comment